Salkantay Trek to Machupicchu
5 Days/4 Nights (Standard)
The famous Salkantay Trek (or Salkantay Trek to Machupicchu), is recently named among the 25 best Treks in the world, by National Geographic Adventure Travel Magazine. Connection of the city of Cusco with Machu Picchu, The Salkantay Trek is an ancient and remote trail that is located in the same region as the Inca Trail, where massive snow-capped mountains collide with lush tropical forests. Located less than fifty miles northwest of the city of Cuzco, in southern central Peru by the Vilcabamba mountain range and reaching 6,271 meters above sea level (20,574 feet) Mt. Salkantay is an exceptionally topped glacial peak adored by thousands of years for the local Indians. The name Salkantay is a Quechua word meaning “wild mountain.”
This amazing journey is the perfect alternative hike for those who were unable to book the Inca Trail. The adventure trail traverses a high Andean plateau, crossing one pass as high as 4600m/15092ft for an up-close view of the Sacred Inca peak, Salkantay (6280m/20598ft). We will take a more scenic and enjoyable route to Lucmabama passing by farms of bananas, coffee, cacao and more. The following day enjoy a tour of the Llactapata Inca Ruins with the first views of the back of the Machu Picchu ruins at a far distance. On the fourth day you will walk to Machu Picchu village to spend the night in a beautiful hotel. On the last day you will visit Machu Picchu the “Lost City of the Incas”. See the intricate stonework of these enigmatic Sacred City of the Inkas which is one of the finest examples of Inca masonry.
Note: Most travel agencies go to Santa Teresa for the night which has hot springs but there is too much noise and partying so we no longer do this route.
Itinerary Day By Day
Day 1: CUSCO – MOLLEPATA – MARCOCCASA – SORAYPAMPA
At 5:30am you will be picked up from your hotel in private transport to take you to the beginning of your alternative Inca Trail trek. You will pass the village of Mollepata (3,000m/9,842ft) before heading towards Marcoccasa (3,400m/11,154ft) where we will meet your private guides and porters before heading off on the trek. From here our trek begins winding through an amazing valley while surrounded by the snow-capped peaks of Humantay (5,217m/17,116ft) and Salkantay (6,264m/20,551ft). In the afternoon we will reach your luxury campsite at the scenic site of Soraypampa (3,700m/12,139ft). Here you will enjoy a buffet dinner prepared by high class chefs in a spacious dining tent. Enjoy your first night sleeping under the tranquility of the Andes’ sky in your cozy, homey tents.
Day 2: SORAYPAMPA – SALKANTAY PASS – CHAULLAY
After an early breakfast featuring hot tea and coffee you will begin your second day of trekking towards Machu Picchu. This is a challenging day as you will hike towards the Salkantay Pass (4,600m/15,092ft). All day you will have spectacular views of the towering snow covered peak of Salkantay (6,264m/20,551ft). As we continue on the trail you will notice an increasing abundance and diversity in lush, colorful vegetation endemic of the area. By the time we get to our campsite at Challway (3,000m/9,842ft) you will be enjoying the warm climate of the tropical forest. Tonight you will enjoy a gourmet dinner, amongst rich greenery, colorful flowers, and unfortunately a good amount of mosquitos, so don’t forget your repellent!
Day 3: CHAULLAY – WIÑAYPOCCO – LA PLAYA
Following an early, nourishing breakfast, you will begin the most beautiful day of the trek where you will see the region’s magnificent flora and sprawling plantations. Our trek descends into a thick cloud forest that will surround you with orchids, bromelains, and other amazing local flora. After exiting the thick forest, we will come upon a secluded valley filled with expansive coffee, cacao and fruit plantations. Our path takes us through the farming villages of Wiñaypoco (2,650m/8,694ft) and La Playa (2,100m/6,890ft) where you will encounter local families and get a chance to speak to them and learn about their lifestyle. Tonight we will camp in the warm village of Lay Playa where you will enjoy your last gourmet dinner, massages, and hot showers is optional.
Day 4: LA PLAYA – LLAQTAPATA – HIDROELECTRIA – AGUAS CALIENTES
In the morning after breakfast we will follow an uphill trail towards the ruins of Llactapata (2,650m/8,694ft). From this site you will have a great view of the distant Machu Picchu Mountain and will be surrounded by lush greenery and bright flora. After enjoying the ruins and the vast view, we will head down to the hydroelectric station (1,950m/6,397ft) where you will enjoy your lunch and time to say good bye to the chef and cook assistant. Here is where the train to Aguas Calientes stops. At the train stop you have the option of taking the train the rest of the way (for an added cost) or finishing the trek to Agaus Calientes (2,050m/6,725ft). Upon arrival in Agaus Calientes in the late afternoon you will be escorted to your hotel where you will sleep soundly tonight.
Day 5: AGUAS CALIENTES – MACHUPICCHU – OLLANTAYTAMBO – CUSCO
Today you will leave your hotel early in order to beat to large crowds of tourists that arrive later in the morning. You will meet your guide at your hotel and they will lead you to the bus up to the ruins of Machu Picchu (2,400m/7,874ft). Upon arriving at the ruins you will get an approximately 2 hour private tour of this amazing Lost City of the Incas. Your informative guide will tell you all about the theories of the purpose of Machu Picchu, the history of the buildings, and about the culture of the ancient Incas. Lunch at the Sanctuary Lodge Hotel After the tour you will take the bus back down to Aguas Calientes to catch your Vistadome train back to Cusco. Upon arrival back in Cusco you will be picked up at the train station and transferred back to your hotel for the night.
- Trip briefing before departure with guide.
- Bilingual guide (English-Spanish), an assistant guide accompanies groups of 9 people or more.
- Horses handlers and mules for all our equipment and personal belongins for Salkantay portion
- Emergency horse for Salkantay portion
- Cook to prepare your meals
- Private transportation to the start point.
- Permit and entrance fees to the Salkantay Trekand Machu Picchu.
- Portable biodegradable bag in toilet with tent.
- Camping equipment: double tents, sleeping pad, kitchen/dining tents, tables, stools, and all kitchen gear. There are basic toilet facilities at each campsite.
- All meals on the itinerary (B= Breakfast L= Lunch, D= Dinner). Vegetarian, vegan and gluten free meals on request at no extra cost.
- Bus ticket: to Machu Picchu – two ways
- Train: Tourist ticket from Machupicchu town to Poroy station or Ollantaytambo station
- Transfer from Poroy or Ollantaytambo station to your hotel in Cusco.
- First-aid kit and oxygen.
- Samextoursperu uses walkie talkies.
- All trash produced during the trek returns to Cusco.
SERVICES NOT INCLUDED:
- Domestic flights. (we can book for you)
- Cusco and Sacred Valley tours (we can book for you)
- Breakfast on first day, Lunch last day in Aguas Calientes.
- Any expenses incurred in preparing for the trip, such as, but not limited to, non-refundable airline tickets or travel insurance, nor additional expenses encountered as a result of flight or train schedule changes, delays, strikes, cancellations, missed connections, acts of God or war.
- Extra porter to carry your baggage (per person-will carry 7kg/15lbs to include weight of your sleeping bag for the entire trek) US$95. Per person
- Personal items like individual gear, sleeping bag, medicines, laundry, telephone calls, etc. If you will request one, please send us your height.
- Travel Insurance.
- Entrance fee: Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Peak $70. per person
- Single Tent: $30.
- Walking Pole set: $25.
- Sleeping bag with liner: $30.
Our staff hand picks the best hotels in the country to ensure you experience utmost comfort and character.
Feel free to browse our recommendations and let us know if you’d like to incorporate a specific property in your customized journey!
Seven Machu Picchu Hotel
Hatun Samay Machupicchu
Inti Punku Machupicchu Hotel & Suites
This example tour has costs beginning at US $ 1,250 per person, based on two sharing accommodations. If more will travel in your private party, it will benefit you as the cost “per person” will reduce.
Prices are based on final accommodation choices, travel dates and other details within your tour, which are flexible to your individual interests and desires.
Feel free to reach us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling us directly at Whatsapp +51958192161.