Exclusive Huchuy Qosqo Trek & Machupicchu
3 Days/2 Nights
An exciting Inca walk that traverses the high Andean plateau of Cusco into the Sacred Valley of the Incas where you will not encounter many tourists. We pass through the Chinchero high mesa toward Lake Piuray. The communities of farmers located along the Piuray lake shore are excellent examples of true Andean traditional living. This well preserved Inca trail takes you to the Inca palace of Huchuyqosqo, from where you will have amazing views of the Sacred Valley and surrounding mountain ranges. The second day in the afternoon take the train to Machu Picchu town for an overnight. The next day we will visit the long awaited magical Sanctuary of Machu Picchu and Huaynapicchu and back to Cusco.
Itinerary Day By Day
Day 1: CUSCO – TAMBOMACHAY – PUMAMARCA
At 6:00 am, you will be picked up from your hotel by private vehicle for a 25 minute drive to Tambomachay (3,700m/12,139ft). We start our hike walking at the ancient Inca Trail used by Quechua people to connect the Sacred Valley, Pisac and Machupicchu at the XV century. From this point, you can observe panoramic views of Cusco; traditional neighborhoods such as Santa Ana, Santiago, and Puquin; and the Valley of Qorao. At this high Andean level, we observe llamas and alpacas eating the Andean grass named Ichu, small cactus, and some bromelias bushes, locally known as Puyas. On the left side on the path we can see ancient Incan terraces used by farmers. We will walk down the trail as it curves sharply up-hill to reach a pass with an elevation near 4,180 meters (13,714 ft). Then we descend along the trail. You will see a beautifully green valleys stretching out as far as the eye can see. The trail takes us up over the second pass (4,300 m/14,107 ft) and into high open country. Just reaching the top, we can see the beautiful Lake Qoricocha (Golden Lake in Quechua) where we descend for 20 minutes to find our lunch spot, free time to rest. After lunch we continue another 300 meter (984 ft) to climb to reach the highest point (4380 m/14370 ft). From this point, we can see Chincheros, the lake of Piuray, and some snow sacred mountains such as Salkantay and Veronica (2 passes). Then a 1.5 hour downhill walk to Pucamamarca, our camping place. Here, our staff set up camp and enjoy our supper underneath the great starry sky.
Day 2: HUCHUY QOSQO – TAUCCA – CHINCHERO – OLLANTAYTAMBO – AGUAS CALIENTES
Early wake up at 6:00 am. After breakfast, we leave our campsite at 07:00 am, walk to end the valley, and we walk through a narrow canyon to see a recently restored trail with wooden bridges and some steps, a lot of of native trees and bushes, panoramic views of Lamay Valley and Calca, the sacred river of the Incas, and Willcamayo. The walk is one hour to reach the Inca site of Huchuy Qosqo, recently restored by archaeologists. Located 3450 meters (11,318 ft) above sea level, from this point it is clear to see many beautiful mountains such as Chicon, Pitusiray, Sawasiray, Waccaywilca and Veronica. We have a guided tour for 1.5 hours to visit and explore this interesting Inca complex. Huchuy Qosqo was originally an administrative and military center of Pisaq, with many Inca buildings with perfect stone work and graineries, called Collcas, to store and preserve food, because it was an important agricultural center of corn production. By 10:00 am, we continue our hike for nearly 3-hours of gradual climb to Taucca Pass (4,400 m/14,435 ft). After reaching the top, we start our last gentle descent for 1 hour to reach our lunch place. From here it is possible also to see Piuray Lake. After lunch, our private vehicle will transport us to Chincheros then to Ollantaytambo, at 4:30 pm we will board our train to Aguas Calientes. 2 hours of spectacular train ride with amazing views on both sides of the valleys with impressive snow capped mountains, several Inca constructions, and the Urubamba river. After we arrive to Aguas Calientes, your guide will take you to your hotel for the night. There is an optional time to go to the hot springs to relax-it is good for muscles! At dinner time, your guide will inform you about the details of our plans for next morning to see Machupicchu.
Please Note.-If anybody has any altitude problems or found this hike very difficult, there is an option to walk down from Huchuy Qosqo for 2 hours to Lamay in the Sacred Valley of the Incas and our vehicle will transport the group to Ollantaytambo to board a train to Aguas Calientes.
Day 3: MACHUPICCHU – OLLANTAYTAMBO – CUSCO
Early wake up at 4:00 am, get breakfast, and get our bus to Machupicchu. The first Bus to Machupicchu departs at 5:30am. After a 30 minute bus ride, we arrive at the entrance of Machupicchu, ready for our 3 hour guided visit with our expert tour guide, he will show and walk with you through the most remarkable areas, temples, residences, and altars offering relevant history and archaeology information. After the guided tour, you will have extra time to explore by yourself, going to the Sun Gate “Inti-Punku”, or walking to the Inca Bridge. Then, there is an optional walk to Huaynapicchu mountain (2 Hrs). When permits for this walk are sold out, we have the walk to the mountain Machupicchu instead (2.5 Hrs). By 2:30 pm, we board a bus down to Aguas Calientes to the restaurant for our lunch. At 4:45 pm, we board our train to Poroy train station (25 minutes from Cusco). Private transport to Cusco.
- Trek briefing before with your guide.
- Bilingual Guide (English/Spanish).
- Camp cook, waiter and assistant.
- Mule handlers and horses or mules. Tents, kitchen gear and meals for handlers.
- Private transportation to the trailhead.
- Tourist train round trip Ollantaytambo-Aguas Calientes-Poroy station.
- Round trip bus ticket Aguas Calientes-Machupicchu ruins
- Entrance fee to Machu Picchu ruins.
- Hostel in Aguas Calientes
- Extra Emergency horse or mule
- High quality camping equipment: Profesional double tents for passengers, sleeping pad (Thermarest), kitchen tent and dining tent. Tables, stools, chairs and all kitchen gear.
- First-class trekking services including: hot water for washing and biodegradable soap.
- Portable biodegradable chemical toilet with tent.
- Duffle bags on loan for personal items to include sleeping bag which is not included. Duffles must be returned at end of trek in Cusco. Maximum weight per passenger: 7kg/15lbs.
- All meals indicated on the itinerary (B= Breakfast L= Lunch, D= Dinner). Vegetarian, vegan, gluten free meals on request at no additional cost.
- First-aid kit and oxygen.
- Samextoursperu uses walkie-talkies on all treks.
- All trash produced during the trek returns to Cusco.
Services NOT Included:
- Hotels in Cusco (we can book for you)
- Domestic flights (we can book for you)
- Tours in Cusco (we can book for you)
- Entrance ticket to Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain Peak
- Breakfast first day, dinner 2nd night, and lunch last day in Aguas Calientes.
- Any unexpected situations occurred during the journey and which are beyond our control, including changes in scheduling trains or flights, delays, strikes, cancellations, missed connections, etc., shall be covered by the passenger as a whole. Also if you, or for physical reasons of health cannot continue the trek or walk, and emergency evacuation needed all charges incurred such as transportation, hotel, ambulance, doctors, medication, hospitalization, etc. will be at passenger´s expense. You will be accompanied by our staff member back to Cusco or Ollantaytambo. For all of these reasons, we recommend taking out travel and health insurance to be able to cover these costs. This is money well invested! Of course, Samextoursperu will help you obtain all necessary documents for you to be refund in full by your insurance company.
- Personal items like individual gear, sleeping bag, medicines, laundry, phone calls, etc.
- Passengers should bring a lightweight pack (25 liters) for their personal effects (Bottle water, suncream, insect repelent, camera, jacket, rain gear, cap, etc.).
- Towel for washing.
- Travel and health insurance.
- Sleeping bag with liner $20.
- Walking pole set $20.
- Single Tent $20.
This example tour has costs beginning at US $ 680 per person, based on two sharing accommodations. If more will travel in your private party, it will benefit you as the cost per person” will reduce.
Prices are based on final accommodation choices, travel dates and other details within your tour, which are flexible to your individual interests and desires.
Feel free to reach us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling us directly at Whatsapp +51958192161.